5 Super Foods Kids Will Actually Eat!
Feeding your swimmer isn't easy especially if they are a picky eaters. We've put together a list of super foods that the kidos are sure to love!
1) Pumpkin- While actually a fruit, its high nutritional value makes it more akin to a vegetable. It is high in vitamins and minerals particularly Vitamin A and C. It has been shown to boost your immune system, protect your eyesight and even lower your risk of cancer. It is a versatile ingredient that can be made into everything from cake, to bread, to pancakes and even soup. The seeds can be mixed with spices and toasted for a tasty snack on the go.
2) Blueberries- Are low in calories but high in nutritional value. Considered one of the world's healthiest foods. They are high in fiber as well as Vitamin C and K. They have been shown to reduce muscle damage after strenuous workouts. They are great plain, on homemade granola, oatmeal, muffins, mixed in salads, pancakes and even ice cream.
3) Oatmeal- Full of fiber, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and protein. Oats are another perfect swimmer food. A great replacement for flour. Can be used in bread to increase nutritional value. Great plain, in granola, cookies, and a key ingredient in haggis.
4) Chickpeas- High in protein, fiber and vitamins. Improves digestion. May prevent cancer and heart disease. May help prevent and manage diabetes. They are an excellent alternative to meat. Mix them with ranch dressing and roast them in the oven. Sprinkle them on salad. They are the basis for hummus. Can be mashed and made into tasty vegetarian burgers.
5) Cherries- Are packed with nutrients, particularly fiber, Vitamin C and potassium. They are rich in antioxidants and have anti-inflammatory compounds. Been shown to improve exercise recovery. May benefit heart health, symptoms of arthritis, and sleep quality.